Who does it support?
* People with Long Term Conditions, including mental health problems
* Unpaid Carers
What does it do?
The PCP is a 12-week course designed to empower participants to live more positively. It combines three essential elements:
* One-to-one complementary therapies such as Massage, Sports Massage, Indian Head Massage, Aromatherapy, Shiatsu, Reflexology, Acupuncture, Healing and Alexander Technique
* Group activities such as Tai Chi, Yoga, Theraputic Art and Self Defence
* Group workshops which cover a wide variety of topics about looking after your mind, body and spirit
Many participants find the PCP life changing. Evaluations (2006-2009) demonstrated:
- 38% of participants visited their GP less often
- 32% were able to reduce their medication
- 94% found the Programme helped them to understand how their lifestyle affected their health
- 91% made positive changes to their lifestyle to improve their health
- 92% said their mental wellbeing had improved
- 90% said they now take more responsbility for their health
- Download the full evaluation report
- View video interviews with past participants
- Click here to read about the real life experiences of PCP participants
Feedback from current participants include:
This holistic approach is far better than meds
Each week just keeps getting better and better
Looking forward to the rest of the course! Already feels much better! Thank you
Feel super relaxed – remarkable what a difference a couple of hours of targeted activity can make – thank you so much!
This course is fantastic and really well run. It has allowed me to come and meet people and helped me deal with my illness a lot better
I am really noticing the benefit now. Thanks
Look forward to this group every week
The past two years of the Positive Care Programme has been funded by the Big Lottery Fund. Five programmes have run across Leeds working with over 300 participants who are living with complex and difficult long term conditions or people who are unpaid carers.
Conditions have included ; ME, MS, Cancer, Fibromyalgia, Parkinsons, Bi Polar, schizophrenia, anxiety, stress, depression, PTSD amongst others conditions.
The impacts have been significant. Many participants report significant improvement to their wellbeing and go on to volunteering, returning to work, feeling empowered to live positively with their conditions.
The PCP is now accepting new referrals from anyone in Leeds who has not completed the programme previously.
To refer yourself to the PCP please download our Referral Form or to find out more information please contact Karen Marshall on 0113 3876474 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please download the guide of the dates for the next course.