Best Start Peer Support Project
If you are pregnant or a carer of an under 2 yr old and live in South or East Leeds, why not get involved?
Improve your self-esteem, learn new skills and help others in your community.
What can we offer?
The Best Start Peer Support Programme is offering a free course to help people manage better when pregnant or if they are a parents/carer for a child under 2 years old.
Over 6 weeks, the course will look at how to manage stress, where to look for extra support, how to improve communication with others and much more.
What is Peer support?
Peer support is different from other types of support because the source of the support is a similar person with relevant experience, providing practical ways to deal with situations.
Peer support involves:
- Mutual understanding
- Being non-judgemental
Who can come on the programme?
Anyone who is pregnant, or a parent or carer of a child under 2 years old can come on the Best Start Peer Support course.
What about my child?
Best Start Peer Support offers a FREE crèche space for parents/carers wanting to attend the course. The crèche is run by DBS checked, qualified and experienced workers.
Why should I come?
The Best Start Peer Support Programme is perfect for anyone wanting to:
- Meet others and make new friends
- Boost their self-confidence
- Learn new skills
- Help others
- Get support to volunteer or return to education or paid employment
At the end of the course there will be opportunities to receive further training to become a supporter for parents and carer in your community.
What have other people said about the course?
- “The course was different to other ‘textbook’ parenting courses”
- “I learned I need to look after myself first to be the best parent I can be”
- “My relationship with my partner is better after attending the course”
- “I enjoyed meeting other people and learning new things from others”
- “I was able to share the course content with other members of my family”
The next courses:
Gipton South Chidren’s Centre,
Starts: Wednesday 19th Sept
Hamara Healthy Living Centre,
Starts: Friday 21st September
For six weeks
To find out more, please contact:
- Karen Marshall (coordinator) / Clare Powell (Touchstone)
0113 2718277 mobile 07760173498 or 07741077332
- Leeanne Rowinska (Women’s Health Matters)
Best Start Peer Support Project is funded by Leeds City Council Public Health.