If you live in South or East Leeds why not get involved, looking at different ways that you can start to cope better, improve your self-esteem and help others in your community too?
What can we offer?
The Best Start Peer Support Programme is offering a free course (with Creche) to help people manage better when pregnant or if they are a parent/carers of children under 2yrs old.
The course is for 2hrs per week for 6 weeks, running in South and East Leeds only. See below for details of the next course in your area and who to contact.
At the end of the course there will be opportunities to join in with future Best Start Peer Support groups, events and new projects.
There is also the opportunity to train to become a Best Start Peer Supporter and receive further training and support to help other parents and carers in your community.
Who can come on the programme?
- You are pregnant, or a parent or carer of children under 2yrs?
- If you feel lonely, isolated, or feel like you need to boost your self confidence and meet others?
- If you feel stressed or that you aren’t coping very well?
- If you want to learn new skills to help yourself and others?
- You are looking to return to education or work?
What is Peer support?
- Peer support involves people drawing on shared personal experience to provide knowledge, social interaction, emotional assistance or practical help to each other, often in a way that is mutually beneficial.
- Peer support is different from other types of support because the source of support is a similar person with relevant experience.
This project is a partnership between Touchstone, Women’s Health Matters (WHM) and Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust’s Early Start Service. This South and East CCG funded programme, commissioned by Leeds City Council Public Health, will contribute to the achievement of the city’s Best Start strategy.
To find out more, please contact:
- Karen Marshall (Coordinator) / Clare Powell (Project Worker)
0113 271 8277
- Leeanne Rowinska (Project Worker)
0113 276 2851
(Women’s Health Matters)
Middleton Play and Learn Centre
Middleton, LS10 4JD
Starts 3rd February
Every Monday 11:30 am — 2:15pm
for six weeks
All courses have creche facilities – please ring for details: 0113 271 8277.
Forms and leaflets
- Referral Form
- Equal Opportunities monitoring form
- Best Start course leaflet
- Application for Best Start Peer Supporter Training