“Just what the doctor ordered: social prescribing”
Making a referral is easy!
Click here for our referral form. You can send this to us either by email or post.
Alternatively, simply call the team on 01924 846808
Better in Kirklees supports people living with a long-term health condition to become more active and involved in their community. Through Social Prescribing, we connect people to groups and activities close to where they live based on their interests. We know that when people have something to do and people to see, they are happier, healthier and remain independent for longer.
There are hundreds of activities to suit all interests and abilities. We will listen to what you tell us and help you discover things you want to get involved in.
Who can use the service?
Anyone over the age of 18 in Kirklees living with a long-term health condition including
- Physical disability
- Mental health condition
- Learning disability
- Sensory impairment
- Drug / alcohol issue
We also work with unpaid carers
What are the benefits?
- Reduce loneliness and social isolation
- Improving mental health and wellbeing
- Gain independence
- Try new activities and gain new hobbies
- Get help with some worries
- Become more active in the community
- Share skills, knowledge and experience
- Rely less on medical staff for ‘treatment’
What are the benefits to GPs and other Health Professionals?
- Helps reduce the frequency of patients visiting GP surgeries and services
- Focus on prevention and early intervention
- Recognition that patients need support with non-medical issues
- A third option other than referral to hospital or prescribe medication
- Speed and ease of referral
Becoming a Peer Champion:
We work with Peer Champions! Peer Champions are people who give up their time to share their skills and knowledge to help others. They can be BIK service users or from the wider community with lived experience of a health issue. Involvement could include:
- Offering Peer Support to other BIK service users
- Becoming a BIK Ambassador and helping to promote Better in Kirklees
- Becoming a Community Champion and promoting what is going on in your neighbourhood
- Volunteering with other services, community groups and organisation with extra support and supervision from BIK
If you are interested in getting involved in this opportunity or know someone who is, please get in touch with our Peer Champion Development Worker, Tamsin, on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07825 438320.
Have a look at our case studies:
Feedback from referrers:
“I am referring my patients to Better in Kirklees because social prescribing is a great idea. So much of what comes to me as a GP is as much about social isolation and lack of confidence as it is about physical issues; the resulting impact on mental health is enormous. Everyone has something they can offer whatever their age or health issues – sharing and friendship is the engine that powers our health” – Dr Hester Dunlop, Skelmanthorpe Family Doctors, Denby Dale.
“I am grateful and very pleased with the work Better in Kirklees has done in supporting our patients and signposting them in the right direction. After a social prescribing referral to BIK, I have noticed in some patients the need for frequent consultation has reduced considerably. I am looking forward to us working in partnership in the future for the global health of our patients” – Dr Khadija Zaman, Ravensthorpe Health Centre.
Click here to find our Better in Kirklees FAQs: