Depression, anxiety or any kind of emotional stress are part of everyday life and can be a real challenge. Sometimes people are able to deal with this by themselves or with the help of family and friends. However, sometimes professional help may be needed and Touchstone IAPT may be able to provide this. Our aim is to provide psychological treatments, sometimes called talking treatments, to help people who are stressed, experiencing low mood (depressed) or are very nervous (anxiety).
Who does it support?
- People experiencing mild to moderate mental health problems.
- People from a Black or Ethnic Minority background.
What does it do?
- We can help you to change the way that you think and feel.
- Work towards improving your mental wellbeing.
How is this achieved?
- Through a kind of talking therapy called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
- CBT is a practical therapy that helps a person to understand what they are going through, and then learn techniques and strategies to cope with how they are feeling in a more helpful way.
- With CBT being a practical therapy, we have treatments in a range of settings to help you learn, including as part of a class (Stress Control Class or Depression Recovery Class), online, or on a one to one basis.
What will happen once I have referred myself?
You will be offered an assessment appointment where you will be asked a range of questions. The questions will help to work out if IAPT is the right service for you. We will also invite you to complete a questionnaire about your symptoms to help us discuss the best way forward for you.
Once you have completed the screening assessment, a member of the Touchstone IAPT team will discuss your needs, and a way forward that will be most helpful to address them; which may be with Touchstone IAPT or may be with a service in Leeds that is better able to meet your needs. All treatments that we offer are evidence-based, which means that they have been researched as the most effective treatments for specific common mental health problems.
We now also have the ability to offer online assessments through the main Leeds IAPT website:
This is a quick and easy way to carry out an assessment if you are able to read and write in English. The link will take you through an assessment by asking you questions about how you are feeling at present. If you are able to successfully complete an assessment online we aim to contact you within 5 working days to see if we are the right service for you.
A day in the life of a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner
If you’d like more information about the national IAPT programme or about training as an IAPT practitioner, please see the following sites: