Migrant Access Project Plus (MAP+)
MAP+ is an exciting project to support local communities in Leeds. It will start by running in two areas:
- West Leeds – Armley and New Wortley
- South Leeds – Holbeck and Beeston
MAP+ will support individuals, families and communities to be healthy, happy and connected. The project aims to promote community cohesion and enhance resilience and sustainability of local communities in Leeds. It will use a variety of innovative asset-based engagement tools to bring new migrant and settled communities to work together in a way that mutually benefits the wellbeing of everyone in their local area.
Migrant Access Project Plus (MAP+) will build on the existing Migrant Access Project currently running in North Leeds.
We will be collaborating with our voluntary sector partners Feel Good Factor and Leeds Asylum Seekers Support Network (LASSN).
How will we do this?
Over two years we will recruit and train:
- 100 Migrant Community Networkers (MCNs) to play an active role in their community. They will use their experience to help others from their own community settle into Leeds, use services and have a voice with what happens in Leeds. The leaders will be trained in issues ranging from health and wellbeing to finance, housing and employment to crime and safeguarding.
- 50 Buddies to befriend and provide practical support to new migrants to navigate and access services, for example accompanying them to an appointment or to use public transport. Contact us to find out more about becoming a buddy.
- 10 Migrant Community Health Educators (MCHEs) who will be trained by Feel Good Factor. They will collaborate with GP Practices in Armley to work with local migrant populations to help them access health services appropriately and raise awareness on key health and wellbeing topics.
Download poster to find out about becoming a Migrant Community Health Educator in Armley
We will facilitate community drop-ins which will be a friendly and informal space for people to come together, meet their neighbours, find out about their local area and share ideas about how they would like their community to look.
Download Armley & New Wortley Drop-in poster
Download Holbeck & Beeston Hill Drop-in poster
Other elements of the MAP+ include: working with Leeds City Council’s housing team to support and bring together communities living in private rented accommodation in Holbeck; a website to support new migrants arriving in Leeds to access and use services; and collaboration with LASSN and Leeds City Council to develop and roll out a Refugee Transition Guide.
Download MAP+ Get Involved to for a one-page summary about becoming a CHE, MCN or Buddy.
Find out more
To find out more about MAP+ contact us on 0113 248 4880 or email email@example.com